About Alpha Youth
Alpha is a series of interactive sessions exploring the Christian faith. Each talk looks at a different question around faith and is designed to create conversation! Alpha is run all around the globe in various contexts, for example, in the Catholic Church, in prisons and in schools. Alpha Youth is one such context and is designed for young people between the ages of 13 and 18.
Alpha is a great way to help young people engage with the big questions of faith. Anyone can run Alpha for youth using the Alpha Youth Series. It’s designed for young people with no Christian or church background and it’s all available for free online!
About Alpha Youth Series
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Alpha Youth Series?
The Alpha Youth Series is a brand new interactive series of thirteen short episodes designed to help engage young people in conversations about faith, life and God. The series features stories from all around the globe, from a wide variety of different contexts and cultures. Each episode is interactive—with short breaks that make space for discussion in small groups.
Why are we remaking it?
Since the launch of Alpha Youth Film Series in 2013, it has been used to run Alpha in 49 countries, in 19 languages and in schools, homes, coffee shops, churches… And that is just the beginning!
Over the last few years our audience has evolved, and we need to ensure that we are still able to effectively reach that audience with the products and content we produce. So the new Alpha Youth Series has been reimagined and updated to engage with today's youth and to stay globally and culturally relevant.
Who is it for?
It is primarily intended for young people between the ages of 13 and 18 who don’t attend church and don’t have a personal relationship with God, but also appeals to those who are younger or older.
Who’s hosting it?
- Jason Ballard and Ben Woodman are returning as presenters of the Alpha Youth Series. Jason leads product development for Alpha and Alpha Youth in Canada, and is a pastor at Christian Life Assembly in Langley, BC. Ben leads Alpha Youth globally and is based in Vancouver, BC.
- There will also be a new team of other hosts who will join Jason and Ben as they present the basics of the Christian faith together.
What’s with the new name?
The Alpha Youth Film Series has been given a brand new look and feel to meet the needs of a new generation. Part of the new branding update includes a new name: ‘Alpha Youth Series’!
What’s the difference between Alpha Youth Film Series and the new Alpha Youth Series?
- New young hosts
A new team of sub-hosts will join Jason and Ben as they present the basics of the Christian faith together.
- More global stories
The new series will feature personal stories from people all around the world.
- New branding and visuals
The Alpha Youth Series will also have new and improved visuals to better engage with 13–18 year-olds.
When will it be available?
Is it available in my language?
It will initially only be released in English. But don’t worry, the first Alpha Youth Film Series will still be available to use and has been translated into 19 languages. Please contact your National Alpha Office for further information about new language translations and for details on when the new Alpha Youth Series will be available in your language.
How much does it cost?
It’s free! Plus, all of the resources you need to run a great Alpha are available online for free as well: take me to Courses.
How long is the series?
There are thirteen 20–27 minute episodes and it’s either eight, nine or ten weeks long depending on how many sessions you include on the Alpha weekend or day away.
What are the episodes about?
Each episode features a different question about life and faith. Here’s the run-down:
- Episode 1 – Life: is this it?
- Episode 2 – Jesus: who is he?
- Episode 3 – Cross: why did Jesus die?
- Episode 4 – Faith: how can I have faith?
- Episode 5 – Prayer: why and how do I pray?
- Episode 6 – Bible: why and how do I read the bible?
- Episode 7 – Spirit: who is the Holy Spirit and what does he do?
- Episode 8 – Fill: how can I be filled with the Holy Spirit?
- Episode 9 - New Life: how do I make the most of the rest of my life?
- Episode 10 – Evil: how can I resist evil?
- Episode 11 – Telling Others: why and how should I tell others?
- Episode 12 – Healing: does God heal today?
- Episode 13 – Church: what about the church?
Are there any training materials?
Yes, there are! Tools and guides to equip you to run your Alpha for young people will be available in late 2017.
- Training videos: There will be two 20–25 minute training videos available.
- Guides and manuals: There will also be a Discussion Guide, to help encourage meaningful discussion; and a Leaders’ Manual to help you plan and manage your Alpha.
What about promotional materials?
Yes, you’ll be able to get customisable promotional items, including posters, postcards, social media graphics and slides.
Who can run Alpha using the new Alpha Youth Series?
Anyone. Whether you are paid staff or a volunteer, young or old, we’ve designed it to be simple to use for anyone, anywhere.