“The new Alpha Film Series has the potential to reach millions worldwide with the
message of God’s transforming love and grace.” — Tricia Neill - Global President of Alpha International
The Alpha Film Series has officially launched and the events kicked off in style in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with over 500 in the audience from around the Asia Pacific region. Our special guests included Nicky and Pippa Gumbel, who pressed play on Episode 1 to an eager audience who were found laughing, crying and fixated on the big screen.
Alpha talks filmed in documentary style for the new generation.
Alpha is being updated for a new generation with the launch of a series of 16 new 30 minute documentary style films which will be offered to churches as an alternative to the traditional Alpha talks.
The Alpha Film Series, which has been produced at a cost of £1.5 million, is presented by CBBC TV presenter Gemma Hunt and a young Church of England clergyman Toby Flint. Alpha pioneer Nicky Gumbel features strongly, presenting some of the key material.
The new series covers all the familiar Alpha topics including Who is Jesus?, How can we have faith?, Why and how do I pray?, How does God guide us?, and Who is the Holy Spirit?
The films feature inspiring stories and interviews from all around the world. Filming took place in Canada, Ireland, Austria, Italy, France, India, UK, Hong Kong, Israel, USA, Chile and Kenya.
• Bear Grylls, world-renowned adventurer, writer and television presenter.
• Julia Immonen, Sky Sports News presenter and double Guinness World Record Atlantic Ocean rower.
• Ugo Monye, former English international rugby union player.
• Jackie Pullinger, one of the world's best-known missionaries, based in Hong Kong.
• Cardinal Christoph Schönborn, Archbishop of Vienna.
• Father Raniero Cantalamessa, Preacher to the Papal Household.
• Jose Henriquez Gonzalez, one of the thirty-three miners trapped for sixty-nine days at the San Jose mine in Chile.
• Alister McGrath, professor of science and religion at the University of Oxford.
• Scott Harrison, founder of Charity: Water.
Millions of people have now tried Alpha at a local church or venue, in 169 countries.
All the money to pay for the film was raised through voluntary donations from all around the world. The first episode of the Alpha Film Series is available free online now, and new episodes will be released every week through April and May. It will later be available in DVD and USB format and also in Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin and Hindi, by the end of 2016.
If you would like to use the Alpha Film Series in English in your church, workplace or home, please head to the alpha.org website or contact the team at your national office and they will be happy to help you access the episodes.